Sangillo's. [Photo: Yelp]
The fate of Sangillo's Tavern hangs in the balance when the Portland City Council meets Monday night to determine whether or not to renew the iconic dive bar's liquor license. The Council postponed a decision at its last meeting, at which the Portland Police recommended the license renewal be denied.
On the Save Sangillo's Facebook page, ownership posted a list of the measures it has taken to increase security in light of a rash of incidents, ranging from a minor in the bar to a shooting just outside it that left a man paralyzed.
1. The entire staff has completed the TIPS alcohol training class, some for the second time, and moving forward we will all take it annually.
2. We now have two efficient doormen on every evening, seven days a week.
3. Sangillo's now has night managers who will be on premises every evening, and we are training all bartender staff to become manager level.
4. Contact has been made with the landlord regarding adding extra lighting outside.
5. The Tavern will maintain its 16-camera security system both at the bar and remotely.
6. The bar owners have offered the space for a monthly neighbor meeting to ensure the community that lives and works around us feels safe.