Tomorrow, June 15, is National Lobster Day. Here are 10 ideas to mark the crustacean occasion:
1. With an amazing view: Two Lights Lobster Shack in Cape Elizabeth boasts a panoramic vista that no other Maine shack can match.
2. With a soundtrack: On the Portland waterfront, Portland Lobster Company has live music every evening.
3. From a truck: The lobster roll from the Bite Into Maine truck was on the recent Serious Eats list of "10 Favorite Lobster Rolls In And Around Portland."
4. Without the line: Yes, we know everyone thinks Red's Eats in Wiscasset is the best. But if you want to avoid the looong line of tourists go right across the road to Sprague's.
5. Pick a winner: The lobster roll from The Clam Shack in Kennebunkport was the Fan Favorite in Tasting Table's Lobster Roll Rumble, held on June 7 in NYC.
6. With a few extra calories: Head to Portland's 555 for chef Steve Corry's truffled lobster mac & cheese.
7. At an iconic diner: The lobster pie at the Maine Diner in Wells is a media favorite, most recently featured on Guy Fieri's Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives.
8. On a road trip: It's well worth the drive from anywhere for "lobster in the rough" at Shaw's Lobster Wharf in the pretty fishing village of New Harbor.
9. In the raw: Sushi master Masa Miyake features pristine raw lobster tail on his menu at the heralded Miyake in Portland.
10. In ice cream: Ben & Bill's Chocolate Emporium in Bar Harbor makes, yes, lobster ice cream - butter-flavored vanilla ice cream with chunks of lobster meat.